Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Relocation





Recently, the company that I work for was swallowed by a bigger local fish. I do prepress/digital imaging for Time Inc Magazines, and the US parent company decided to sell off it's Australian magazines. It's a kick in the teeth for those of us who have worked there for a while, but the corporate world is rarely kind. Pacific Magazines, a part of the Seven Network, was the winning bidder and thankfully I was not made redundant (although a payout would have been handy). As a result, we're moving out of our spacious four floors in Milsons Point and being shoe horned into the Pacific building up the road in Blues Point - that's about 150 people being crammed into an already crowded place.
Being a part of a much bigger company is a bit of a shock. It's far less personal - if you pass people in a corridor they are more likely to ignore you than to give a greeting, but I can't complain as redundancy could have been a hassle.
I've now been "imbedded" into InStyle magazine, meaning that is the only mag I'll be working on. There's benefits in that I get to work directly with editorial, and negatives in that I get to work directly with editorial. I'm going to miss the variety of working on other magazines, but then again Time magazine was really the only different mag.

No comments: