Monday, September 10, 2007

Google Earth / Borgia Centre


I was looking at Google Earth and thought I'd better grab an image of the sports centre over the road, before Google updates the aerial shot. It must be from 2002-2003 as the building is under construction. With a long winded name, The Debbie and Abbey Borgia Community Recreation Centre was named after some local Bali bombing victims. The story is here.
I used to live at the "other" end of Marrickville, on Newington Rd, and very rarely ventured down to the river, so I had no idea that this big corrugated iron behemoth was being built. Now I look out at it every day, and can hear the sound of rubber soles squeaking on the inside courts. I've also seen posters around announcing that pro-wrestling is returning to Marrickville after 21 years; and will be at The Borgia Centre. We should be able to sit on the porch and hear the grunts of testosterone.

No comments: