Sunday, January 27, 2008

Warren and Maggie



The Warren is a locality of Marrickville named after a huge Gothic inspired mansion that used to sit on the hill overlooking the Cooks River. There is a painting of The Warren, having it's last gasp above encroaching suburbia, that was painted by Peter Lawson in 1911.
Hoping to find out more about the artist, I did a search and found another Peter lawson who paints. It's not the same guy, unless he has painted the picture of Dorian Grey. What struck me was one of his website paintings. It looked strangely familiar.

It turns out that I've been to the contemporary Peter Lawsons gallery and spoken with him. His gallery is on Magnetic island, and the familiar painting is from the top of Maggie, looking down over Horseshoe Bay. Here are some of the pics I took of the same spot when John and I holidayed there in 2005. All great coincidences!

No comments: